IX. OF ADDITIONAL INTEREST
As always, every source needs to be examined for potential bias and inaccuracy.
IX(A) Piltdown Man. Among the individuals advanced as possible hoaxers in the Piltdown Man forgery are theologian and philosopher Pierre Teilhard de Chardin and lawyer and amateur anthropologist Charles Dawson.
John, David, The Strange Case of the Piltdown Man
Richard Harter's Piltdown Man Pages
Oakley, Kenneth and J. S. Weiner, Piltdown Man
The Piltdown Plot
- American detective finds fresh clues to Piltdown mystery, 126 New Scientist 26 (June 16, 1990).
- Blinderman, Charles, The Piltdown inquest (Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1986).
- Dempster, W. J., Something up Dawson's sleeve? 382 Nature 202 (July 18, 1996).
- Erdmann, M. V., and R. L. Caldwell, How new technology put a coelacanth among the heirs of Piltdown Man, 406(6) Nature 343 (July 27, 2000).
- Gee, Henry, Box of bones 'clinches' identity of Piltdown palaeontology hoaxer, 381 Nature 261-262 (May 23, 1996).
- Grigson, Caroline, Missing links in the Piltdown fraud, 125 New Scientist 55-58 (January 13, 1990).
- Hall, E. T. and Andrew O. Lutes, Riddle of the tenth man, 381 Nature 728 (June 27, 1996).
- Menon, Shanti, The Piltdown perp, 18 Discover 34 (January 1997).
- Millar, Ronald William, The Piltdown men (NY: St. Martinís Press, 1972).
- Miller, Gerrit Smith, The jaw of the Piltdown man (with five plates)(Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1915)(Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections; 65-12).
- Thomson, Keith Stewart, Piltdown man: the great English mystery story, 79 American Scientist 194-201 (May/June 1991).
Turritin, Tom, A Mostly Complete Piltdown Bibliography
- Shipman, Pat, On the trail of the Piltdown fraudsters, 128 New Scientist 52-54 (October 6, 1990).
- Spencer, Frank, Piltdown : a scientific forgery (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990).
- Tobias, Phillip V., Piltdown unmasked, 34 The Sciences 38-43 (January/February 1994).
- Vincent, John B., Piltdown Man: combining the instruction of scientific ethics and qualitative analysis, 76(11) Journal of Chemical Education 1501-1502 (November 1999).
- Walsh, John Evangelist, Unraveling Piltdown : the science fraud of the century and its solution (NY: Random House, 1996).
- Weiner, Joseph Sidney, The Piltdown forgery (London: Oxford University Press, 1955).
- Zuckerman, Solly, A new clue to the real Piltdown forger? 128 New Scientist 16 (November 3, 1990).
IX(B) Other Hoaxes
CSICOP's List of Enduring Hoaxes
The Museum of Hoaxes
IX(C) Cults and Freedom of Thought
Yahoo's Listing: Cults
IX(D) Mainstream Science and Alternative Explanations
IX(D)(1) Immanuel Velikovsky
The Immanuel Velikovsky Archives
Science and Pseudoscience: Velikovsky
The Skeptic's Dictionary: Velikovsky
Velikovsky Home Page
IX(D)(2) Perpetual Motion Machines. The United States Patent Office has never issued a patent for a perpetual motion machine, although inventors routinely submit requests for patents for this type of device.
Eric's History of Perpetual Motion and Free Energy Machines
The Perpetual Motion Page
Perpetual Motion Machines
Professor Hibbert's Perpetual Motion Page
Why There Aren't Any Perpetual Motion Machines
Brody, Steve, Pentagon Buys "Perpetual Motion" Machine
Kilty, Kevin T., Perpetual Motion
Hering, Daniel, Foibles and Fallacies of Science (1924).
IX(D)(3)Astronomy and Cosmology
Astronomical Pseudo-Science. See also Velikovsky (above) and Daubert: Other Issues: Astrology
IX(E) The Amityville Haunting [under construction]
In December 1976 George and Kathy Lutz and their three children moved into a house in Amityville, New York in which six members of the DeFeo family had been murdered. A seventh member, Ronald DeFeo, was convicted of the crimes. The Lutzes moved out less than a month later, claiming that the house was haunted by demonic spirits. The Lutzes told their story to a publisher and to writer Jay Anson who wrote the book, The Amityville Horror (1977), later made into a feature film. Almost immediately others began to charge that the Lutzes were perpetrating a hoax.
IX(F) History of Science
Science in the Nineteenth Century Periodical Research Project
IX(F)(2) Specific Topics
IX(F)(2)(a) Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution
CSICOP: Creation and Intelligent Design Watch
National Center for Science Education
Yahoo's Listing: Creation vs. Evolution
IX(F)(2)(a)(2) Selected BIbliography (under construction)
Dissertations and Theses
Davidson, Cheryl Linda, Science and Theolody Interface: A Comparison of Intelligent Design and Theistic Evolution (Masterís thesis, California State University, Fullerton, 2001).
Flecky, Alexandra N., High Priest and Homespun Prophet: The Role of Argument and Synecdoche in Scientific Voices (Masterís thesis, California State University, Fullerton, 2001).
Reynolds, Bradley Doyle, The Current Setting of the Evolution/Creation Debate in American Public Schools (Dissertation, College of William and Mary, 2003).
Vance, Toby Eugene, Intelligent Design as a Methdological Basis for a Postmodern Science (Masterís thesis, University of Texas, El Paso, 2001).
Woodward, Thomas Ely, Aroused from Dogmatic Slumber: A Rhetorical History of Intelligent Design (Dissertation, University of South Florida, 2001).
Kitzmiller v. Dover, (webpage)
A Defeat for Intelligent Design
Yahoo's Listing: Witchhunts
IX(G) Other Church-State Issues
Yahoo's Listing: Church State Issues
Annotated Science/Faith Bibliography